Our Cathedral supports the work of the Truth Reconciliation Commission to redress the legacy of residential schools and advance the process of Canadian reconciliation.
The Commission have published 94 "calls to action" which urge all levels of government — federal, provincial, territorial and aboriginal — to work together to change policies and programs in a concerted effort to repair the harm caused by residential schools and move forward with reconciliation.
The "calls to action" are divided into two parts: legacy (1 to 42) and reconciliation (43 to 94.) Our Cathedral voted as to which ‘call to action’ we would first focus on to be part of the truth and reconciliation process. Our community chose ‘Call 62’ which is part of the Education for reconciliation.
- We call upon the federal, provincial, and territorial governments, in consultation and collaboration with Survivors, Aboriginal peoples, and educators, to
- Make age-appropriate curriculum on residential schools, Treaties, and Aboriginal peoples’ historical and contemporary contributions to Canada a mandatory education requirement for Kindergarten to Grade Twelve students
- Provide the necessary funding to post-secondary institutions to educate teachers on how to integrate Indigenous knowledge and teaching methods into classrooms.
- Provide the necessary funding to Aboriginal schools to utilize Indigenous knowledge and teaching methods in classrooms
- Establish senior-level positions in government at the assistant deputy minister level or higher dedicated to Aboriginal content in education.
Resources & Links
(links will open in a new tab/window)
Dr. Shaueen Pete - 100 Ways to Indigenize and Decolonize Academic Programs and Courses:
Kairos: Winds of Change campaign:
Anglican Church of Canada: