Creating Light from Darkness Words*Music*Images
Christ Church Cathedral is excited to be participating for its first time in Nuit blanche à Montréal.
Complete Schedule Visit our Facebook page!
Our doors will be open from 6pm until 2 am and we have prepared an exciting schedule of music, art, film and drama.
Some activities will continue all night, in particular:
- an exhibition of paintings and photographs on the theme of light
- an NFB documentary movie La Mémoire des anges which takes a nostalgic look at Montreal in the 4os and 50s
- an opportunity to warm up, have a hot drink, light a candle and listen to some amazing music and drama
The evening will open with a pathway of lights leading into the Cathedral building where there will be a demonstration of change ringing on handbells and exciting activities for children. Later in the evening there will be a workshop for people who would like to try ringing the bells.
Music and drama will continue all evening and include concerts by:
- Adeleisia (composed of members of the choir formerly known as Concerto Della Donna, giving their inaugural recital)
- an octet of horns (eight!)
- the cathedral organists playing modern works for organ
- a trio of two flutes and a violin, two jazz ensembles and a flute and guitar duo
The drama sections are directed by Paul Hopkins, former Artistic Director of Repercussion Theatre. We have chosen some very funny and nostalgic pieces about the joys and horrors of a Canadian winter.
Later in the evening local poets will be reading their poems on the theme of light, alternating their performance with jazz sets.
A monastic office will be sung in plain chant at midnight, followed by a dramatic rendering of the first chapter of Genesis with sound and light effects.
God said “Let there be Light“
Post a comment